For the first time since the refurbishment of the Eugene W. Biscailuz Regional Training Center, the 48th Annual Los Angeles County Peace Officers’ Memorial Ceremony was held on the facility grinder. A colorful, freshly-styled Memorial Wall stands erect as the focus of the outdoor venue; it exhibits the names of the 509 peace officers who lost their lives in the line of duty while serving the residents of Los Angeles County.
The annual Los Angeles County Peace Officers’ Memorial Ceremony commemorates the lives of these peace officers and recognizes their ultimate sacrifice. This year, we paid special tribute to honor six of these fallen heroes and their names were added to the Memorial Wall.
Most recently and regrettably, the lives of three of the six peace officers honored were lost in the line of duty between October, 2016, and February, 2017:
• Sergeant Steven C. Owen, Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department
• Sergeant Alfonso Lopez, Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department
• Officer Keith Wayne Boyer, Whittier Police Department
Historical research determined three of the peace officers honored died in the line of duty between 1917 and 1947:
• Deputy Marshal Frederick F. Moore, Los Angeles County Marshal’s Office
• Deputy Arthur J. Solomon, Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department
• Constable Charles W. Winston, Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department