Research Library Opens at Historic Rancho Camulos
Rancho Camulos Museum contributors Mary Schwabauer and Marie Wren cut the ribbon to a new study library and reading room while guests enjoyed “margaritas and munchies” in a well-attended celebration Sunday.
The library marks the nonprofit museum’s first formal, public use of the newly restored “small adobe,” which was built about 1920 and destroyed in the 1994 Northridge earthquake.
The small adobe is one of the buildings motorists see from Highway 126 as they pass by the ranch. Those who pull over and stop on a Sunday afternoon can tour several more buildings including the “main adobe” where the Del Valle family lived after 1853.
From 1839 to the 1860s, the Del Valles owned 75 square miles of the Santa Clarita Valley, from Piru to the western edge of today’s Canyon Country. The family lived at Rancho Camulos until 1924 when they sold the property to the Rübel family. Still a working ranch, Camulos has been owned by just two families in 178 years.
The ranch and particularly the main adobe are featured in a new coffee-table book, “Ranches: Home on the Range in California,” by Marc Appleton, who discussed and signed copies of his book at Sunday’s event.
The book is for sale at Rancho Camulos Museum, which is located 10 miles west of Valencia on scenic Highway 126.