Del Valle Buggy Basks in Former Glory at Rancho Camulos
The new, two-horse buggy that the Del Valle family purchased in 1861 and brought around Cape Horn to their 48,000-acre Rancho San Francisco (aka the Santa Clarita Valley) was in sad shape when Rancho Camulos Museum volunteer Ralph Rees and his wife Pat took it upon themselves to restore it to its former glory in 2009.
Recently, Ralph came up with the idea of building a carriage house with a 270-degree view so the buggy could be seen, appreciated and protected. Ralph designed the carriage house and managed a group of fellow volunteers who helped him build it on the museum grounds (10 miles west of Valencia on scenic Highway 126).
The new carriage house is nearly complete; a pecan tree that fell on the ranch property last year will provide lumber for the exterior siding.
On Sunday the buggy was rolled into the new carriage house for a formal dedication. The event doubled as a celebration of Ralph’s 90th birthday.
– Leon Worden